Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DC Universe Online Cinematic Trailer

 "I'm in the stupid future."  - Superboy Prime

 Ok, so here's yet another 10 day old video from the in-case-you-missed-it dept. The super-long cinematic trailer for DC Universe Online. (Also available on the official site and for download on PSN.)




This was put together by Blur, who also put together the cinematic trailer for Star Wars: the Old Republic that everyone raved about. Somehow, they do a DCUO trailer, and half the internet is complaining that there isn't any gameplay footage.

I've been following this game for a long time now, so I've seen plenty of gameplay footage from the demo at NYCC in Feb 2009 through the E3 2010 mini-trailer/Harley Quinn episode/Q&A. If you haven't seen it here's some fuzzy footage from E3. (This mini-trailer also available for download on PSN, or available on the official site)



I've never really played an MMO, because the earliest ones involved way too much pelt-hunting for 1 gold and 1 xp, and because PC gaming sucks in general. I did try City of Heroes for a couple of hours last week just so I have a source of comparison later on, and the click-wait-click-wait gameplay was a perfect cure for insomnia. So I'm really looking forward to a console, action MMO.

The developer interviews sound like they're doing their jobs... the episodes all have at least one recognizable hero and villain to help or fight, the loot can be worn or just used for abilities so you can keep your own unique look,  and having a famous character as your mentor is sweet.

I'm a little scared that there may not be enough powers at launch, and some of the rumored limitations on color schemes (supposedly all fire will be some shade of red/yellow/orange so it can be recognized as a fire attack), and the mentors possibly only including the biggest names of the DCU. (Am I the only one who would rather hang out with Booster Gold than most of the JLA toolboxes?)

The beta should start soon, so hopefully I'll be able to check the game out, but as it stands now, I'm purchasing day 1 and staying signed up for at least a year, because I'm THAT kind of fanboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment