Friday, August 6, 2010

You're the worst there is at what you do and what you do is everything.

“An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less, until eventually he knows everything about nothing.”

Ok, so I'm playing ModNation Racers tonight and I kept winding up in full gamerooms with 11 other people too cheap to buy a microphone. To make it worse, the hosts are just running official tracks or the worst creations they could find.

I'm getting frustrated and then I wind up on a track full of jumps from invisible jump pads at random intervals of the track, and blimps flying along at ground level so they can take out racers with no warning.  I played a few wacky tracks tonight, but I think this one also had one turn filled with falling explosive barrels that are also completely random.

So getting frustrated, I decide to volunteer my opinion, "This track sucks!" I say diplomatically, "If the person who created this track is here, it sucks..." and then I was randomly exploded by some un-playtested nonsense that made me go back to focusing on the race.

Moments later, the track's creator gets on mic and says, "I ain't getting paid to make this" and "you must be hatin' cuz you suck and you're losing." Once the race is done, he checks out my profile and provides this insightful gem, "Man, you don't even have a track. How can you talk about my track and you don't even have a track. You can't say other people's tracks suck if you don't have one for us to rip on too."

So this toolbox hit on two of my peeves about people who complain about complainers in less than a minute.

First, just because I hate on a video game does not mean I suck at it, and/or just because I suck at a video game does not mean that's the only reason I hate it. Maybe YOU aren't self-aware enough to be able to separate your skill from opinion, but we don't all suffer from your birth defects.

And more importantly....  

I do not have to make a track to know if your track is unplayable. I do not need to make a game to know your game sucks. I do not need to write a novel to know you murdered trees. I do not need to work in the movie industry to know that yours is the worst movie ever! 

When I praise something, I never hear anybody say I have to do something myself to decide if I actually liked it, so why does every special snowflake think that negative opinions need to come with a resume?

I don't need to work in the industry to be an expert on entertainment. I'm an expert on me. I've been reading and watching and playing stuff for 30 years. I've seen good stuff and bad stuff. I know what works and what doesn't work. For me. And for every right thinking person who shares tastes and opinions with me.

I'm gonna go find more right thinking people.

No comments:

Post a Comment